Finding LegaSea


2010-11 Jim was temporarily transferred to Hawaii for an engineering project. We found it was cheaper to buy a damn boat than rent an apartment - swear. The ‘reasonably priced’ apartments were up the mountain. Who wants to live up a mountain in Hawaii? He owned and sold a 40+’ monster boat named Janeve. If you asked what kind of boat, I’d answer: white. She had a timeless beauty with wood flooring and great lines - a real beauty.

When Jim returned from Hawaii, he told me we wanted another large boat for “weekends” on the water. Well, I could do weekends - no rouge sharks or squid in the Potomac River. I was also smart enough to understand that boat money needs to be reinvested in another boat. Once boat money hits a checking account - it disappears - seen it happen to many great boatless boaters. Jim found a 38’ AFT Cabin Sea Ray named LegaSea in Maryland - she was the one. Not near the beauty of Janeve but updated and slick. After a lot of checklists, we brought her to Aquia Creek with the help of Brian Ballard over Easter weekend. That was a cold and fun weekend. 

BOATING ON THE RIVER: At first, I was clumsy on the river, had trouble with the vocabulary, and never hosted docktails; but, with Jim's encouragement, I managed. I practiced. I got more comfortable. I spent less time thinking about drowning and more time about what was in front of me: osprey, eagles, that furry ‘it’s not an otter’ creature, searching for the KingFisher when I heard his song, waiting for spring to see the gar, fishing for whatever caught my line, watching the perfect sunrise to sunset. Like I said, I became more comfortable - Jim’s new approach was working.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DAYS 22-23 Cortlandt Yacht Club to Kingston, NY & Lighthouses

DAY 54: Put-In-Bay OH to Sugar Island, MI

DAYS 301-303: Deltaville to Tangier Island