KEY WEST CHRISTMAS

Christmas in the Keys is nice but not the same at all. I love my wintery Christmas holidays in Virginia with hot chocolate and a wood burning stove - add a snowstorm and I’m in heaven. I like to decorate my trees, put up lights, see Cathy’s tree, and have mom come for the week. The kids, however, had zero reservations about island holidays and quickly planned out their flights. 


Christmas Eve, we took everyone to the deserted islands of Marquesas Keys. Wow, that was something to see. The keys are in the shape of a doughnut caused by a meteorite. The middle is a perfect lagoon. While exploring the island, we saw a sea snail and starfish. Jim was wading just off the shoreline when he saw a nurse shark just a few feet away in the shallows. There were plenty of sounds coming from the mangroves; probably iguana. Did you know they can swim for up to 40 miles between islands?


Christmas Eve dinner was casual at the White Tarpon on the wharf. We shared Christmas dinner at Bel Mare, exquisite italian dishes, with everyone we know in Key West. That was a big table! The Zielinski’s, Troy, Rick, John Zorich, Mark, Jody & Jim, and the Beck’s. Lots of different conversations with laughter - now that is the Christmas I know.


After the holiday, the kids began to leave Key West and we were sad to see them go. I miss Pearson so much; even when he’s buggin’ me to pieces. He hasn’t been able to bug me for 6 months. It was good to have Sara on the boat again. I really wish there was more to write but the kids were here for such a short period of time. Sara fell in love with Key West - knew she would.


Manatee by the boat, Christmas Morning


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DAYS 22-23 Cortlandt Yacht Club to Kingston, NY & Lighthouses

DAY 54: Put-In-Bay OH to Sugar Island, MI

DAYS 301-303: Deltaville to Tangier Island